Paray Mission Hospital is a Roman Catholic Church Health Facility situated at the administration centre of Thaba Tseka District. It is under the leadership of the Archbishop of Maseru, run by the sisters of Charity of Ottawa in collaboration with Christian Health Association of Lesotho (CHAL), to provide accessible, affordable holistic quality health care to all people.
Applications are therefore invited from highly qualified local and international candidates for the:
Mental Health Nurse
Under the supervision of the Manager Hospital Nursing Services, the Mental Health Nurse shall work with children, adults and older people suffering from various types of mental health problems. The incumbent will work with clients in their own homes, health center & in hospital area.
- Caring for patients who are experiencing acute mental distress or have an enduring mental health problem.
- Assessing and talking to patients about their problems and discussing the best way to plan and deliver their care.
- Building relationships with patients to encourage trust, while listening to and interpreting their needs and concerns.
- Ensuring the correct administration of medication, including injections, and monitoring the results of treatment.
- Responding to distressed patients in a non-threatening manner and attempting to understand the source of distress.
- Applying the ‘de-escalation’ approach to help people manage their emotions and behaviour.
- Preparing and participating in group and/or one-to-one therapy sessions, both individually and with health professionals.
- Organizing social events aimed at developing patients’ social skills.
- Preparing and maintaining patient records.
- Producing care plans and risk assessments for individual patients.
- Ensuring that the legal requirements appropriate to a particular setting or group of patients are observed.
- Working with families and patients’ carers, helping to educate them and the patient about their mental health problems.
- Promoting a ‘recovery’ based approach to care.
- In the community, the role may also involve:
- Coordinating the care of patients.
- Liaising with patients, relatives and fellow professionals in the community treatment team and attending regular meetings to review and monitor patients’ care plans.
- Visiting patients in their home to monitor progress.
- Performing any other duties.
Qualifications and work experience:
The candidate should hold a Diploma in General Nursing and Midwifery with a Diploma /Degree in Psychiatric Nursing and be registered with Lesotho Nursing Council. Have a minimum of 2 years of experience in the same field.
Submission of application:
Applications should be submitted on or before the 26th September 2023 to:
or Hand-delivered to:
The Human Resources Office
Paray Mission Hospital
P.O. Box 2